The Student Preview feature in Blackboard allows instructors to see the course exactly as a student would. While turning the Edit Mode off in Blackboard shows content areas as they would appear to students, this does not allow the faculty to view groups from a student view, to view the My Grades link, submit assignments, or to view assigned grades.
The student preview account can be identified in your course roster with a username using the following format: johndoe_previewuser. In addition, it is listed by name using the following format: Yourfirstname Yourlastname_previewuser.
Instructors can choose to keep or remove the student preview account from the course. For more information, refer to the steps labelled “Exiting Student Preview” below.
Instructors can use the student preview in the following ways:
- Use the student preview account to take tests and submit assignments.
- Leave the student preview account in the course and use it to test grade center calculations and visibility of grades to students.
- Assign the student preview account to a group, and use it to preview group activities and assignments. Note: The student preview account is not assigned to a group. you will have to assign the account to the group.
- Use the account to check the availability of content items and files to identify file permission issues.
You will need to switch to the student view in each course in which you want the _previewuser account to be enrolled.
Accessing Student Preview
- Click on the Student Preview icon
An orange banner appears when entering Student Preview
Exit Preview Mode
After clicking the Exit Preview button, you will then see a dialogue box similar to the one above with the following options:
1.. Delete the preview user and all data: Choose this option to delete the student account in its entirety, including any data submitted using the student preview account.
2.. Keep the Preview User and all data: This option will store the student preview account and all data associated with the account. Note: the student account still resides in the course, so this account may affect course availability and scoring.
3. Remember this choice and do not ask me again. Select this option to save you selected choice.
4. When finished, click the Continue ton at the bottom of the page or click Cancel to abort the action.
These options can also be changed by clicking the Settings button that appears at the top of the page while in the student preview.